Tuesday 20 March 2012

Custom Built Purse - Creating the Liner and Outside of the Bag



The next step that I used to make my bag was to determine the size of the lining that I would require, based on my pocket layout. I know that this way is a bit backwards, most bags require that you create the outside first, and that’s the part I’m creating last, but I wanted to make sure that everything that I wanted would fit in my bag, rather then trying to cram all of my things into a bag.

 


I laid my pockets down on my cutting board in the approximate layout that I wanted and measured the size of the back that I would need. The front and back pieces were 15 1/2” high by 21” wide, which included a seam allowance of a ½”. The main space’s side pieces were 15 ½” high by 5” wide and the back space’s sides were 15 ½” high by 3” wide. The bottom pieces were 21” by 5” for the main space and 21” by 3” for the back space. The Divider piece was 28” by 21”, because I folded it in half so that no rough edges showed, and I didn’t want the divider to be too close to where I was going to attach the bias tape to attach the liner to the outside of the bag.


Once the pieces were cut out, I attached my pockets where I wanted them to go (see pocket posts for more information on how to attach the pockets).

Because I didn’t want any of my things to get banged up, I decided to add quilt batting to the sides, and I also added a sturdy piece of craft interfacing to the bottom to keep the bottom flat. I cut out a piece of the interfacing to the same dimensions of each piece, and then basting stitched the interfacing and lining together (interfacing attached to the wrong side of the lining), very close to the edge to that the stitching would not show after I sewed all the lining pieces together.

Line up the side flap with the back piece, right sides together, pin in place and sew together with a ¼” seam. Repeat on the other side. Then attach the bottom to the back and sew, then sew the sides to the bottom. 



Next, attach the front to each side and the bottom, in whichever order you prefer. I always attached the sides first, but it really doesn’t matter. For my bag, I then had to attach the other lining space, so I again attached the sides to the middle, then the bottom and finally the back. This step sounds much easier then it truly is, because all the layers on fabric and interfacing add up and can make it very difficult to sew, especially in the corners where other pieces have already been attached. Just take your time and be careful not to force the fabric through, this will only bend or break your needle (I may or may not know this through personal experience☺).

Trim off some of the excess if desired.

Here is my liner all completed.





Use the same technique and sizes for the outside, but once it's all sewn together, turn it inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment